Promoting Malaysia Globally as a Healthcare Destination
Sime Darby Medical Centre
Opened in 1985, Sime Darby Medical Centre Subang Jaya (SDMCSJ, formerly Subang Jaya Medical Centre) is operated by the Sime Darby Healthcare Group and owned by one of Malaysia’s oldest and largest conglomerates, Sime Darby Berhad, which has a global presence in more than 20 countries.
Sime Darby Medical Centre Subang Jaya (SDMCSJ)
About a half-hour’s drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport, this award-winning tertiary-care hospital has 393 beds, 93 clinic suites and 14 operating theatres. SDMC’s physicians treat approximately 1,800 outpatients and 300 inpatients daily. The majority of the 160 specialists were trained in the UK, Australia, or the US, and many of them are key opinion leaders in their respective fields in the region. All of the medical and allied healthcare staff are fluent in English.
The hospital offers all major specialties and numerous additional niche services using cutting-edge medical technologies and techniques. SDMC boasts of some of the region’s highly sophisticated medical systems which include a 64-slice PET/CT scanner, a 3.0Tesla MR scanner, a 3D High Dose Rate brachytherapy system, a Dual Source CT scanner and a Hi-Art TomoTherapy System for cancer treatment.
Many international patients from various countries seek treatment at SDMC—about 1,200 European, 600 US and Australian, and 3,600 Japanese patients visited in 2008 alone. The hospital’s International Patient Services Centre serves the special needs of medical travellers.
Services Provided for International Patients:
- Appointment scheduling
- Assistance with travel arrangements (necessary visa approvals & extensions)
- Accommodation arrangement at special rates (hotels and apartment rentals)
- Airport pickup/drop-off and hotel transfers
- Medical referrals
- Medical concierge
- Language interpretation
SDMC offers complimentary interpretation and translation services to foreign patients upon request. “We have patients coming here from the Middle East and we are able to cater to their individual needs and wants including translation of their language during their visit to our hospital. Our food here is halal and suraus at our hospital are provided for Muslims to pray,” said Elaine Cheong, Chief Executive Officer of Sime Darby Healthcare Group.
SDMC has made medical history in Malaysia with its many achievements and milestones over the last two decades through excellence in quality management systems, its medical expertise and also its centres of excellence.
Centres of Excellence at the Sime Darby Medical Centre
- Cancer and Radiosurgery Centre, for paediatric and adult oncology and haem-oncology. Treatments include image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy, 3D dynamic conformal radiation therapy, stereotactic radiotherapy and radiosurgery, and total body irradiation (used in bone marrow and stem cell transplant). Along with a new-generation linear accelerator, SDMC has a 3D high-dose rate brachytherapy system, which enables advanced internal radiotherapy for gynaecological, breast, esophageal, bronchial, nasopharyngeal, and mouth cancers as well as soft tissue sarcoma, while sparing surrounding tissues. The centre also offers palliative care, counselling services, group sessions, and nurse educator services.
- Nuclear Medicine and PET/CT Centre, a major regional referral centre, utilizes radioactive materials in diagnosis and treatment, particularly in cardiology, endocrinology, neurology, and oncology. Its imaging equipment includes a 64-slice PET/CT scanner and a Gamma Camera. SDMC employs sophisticated techniques for bone, lung, kidney, brain, liver, digestive tract, and whole-body scans in diagnosing cancer, heart disease, neurological conditions, and brain abnormalities. Nuclear medicine therapy is offered for such diseases as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, thyroid and liver cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology Centre, where a specialized branch of radiology combining new catheterization and imaging technologies offers precise, accurate diagnosis and minimally invasive treatment for blood vessel disorders and diseases of the internal organs. Services include diagnostic angiography, interventional neuroradiology (such as for aneurysm, arteriovenous malformation, and acute stroke intervention), balloon angioplasty stenting, embolization (such as sealing off bleeders, tumor circulation, and fibroids), interventional oncology, and spinal pain intervention.
- Blood Diseases Centre, currently the private Malaysian facility offering comprehensive blood/marrow transplantation. The centre provides a full range of laboratory services for diagnosis of blood disorders; comprehensive treatment for haematological malignancies, such as leukaemia, lymphoma, and myeloma; cryopreservation and stem cell storage; and paediatric blood/marrow transplant from matched unrelated donors. SDMC’s clinical outcome of transplant-related mortality is less than 2 percent for autologous transplant (usually with the patient as donor) and less than 10 percent for allogeneic transplant (with a genetically similar donor).
- Epilepsy Clinic, with its Comprehensive Epilepsy Management Programme, is the private facility in the country which has successfully performed advanced techniques in epilepsy surgery such as Awake Craniotomy, where the patient is awakened during removal of the tumour in brain surgery to test on speech or movement functions in order to ensure the functions are not disturbed.
- Other centres of excellence are the Heart Centre, Obesity Clinic, Digestive and Liver Health Clinic, Subang Fertility Centre, Stone Centre, and Health Screening Centre..
- Advanced laparoscopic weight-loss surgeries
- Blood/marrow transplant
- Complex cancer treatments
- Endometrial ablation using uterine balloon therapy (for heavy menstrual bleeding)
- Epileptology procedures and epilepsy surgery
- Hand and microsurgery
- Infertility treatment
- Computer-assisted joint replacement surgeries
- Laser vaginal surgery
- Endoscopic spine and minimally invasive spinal fusion surgeries
- Vascular and interventional radiology
Major Achievements and Awards
- 1985: Open-heart surgery in a private hospital
- 1995: Live related donor paediatric liver transplant
- 1995: Live paediatric liver transplant from a non-blood relative
- 1999: Stem cell transplant
- 2000: Adult bone marrow transplant
- 2002: Paediatric bone marrow transplant
- 2009: Awake craniotomy (brain surgery on an awake patient)
- 1998 & 2003: Malaysia’s only two-time winner of Prime Minister’s Quality Award (private sector category)
- 1999/2000: Institute of Quality Malaysia Quality Excellence Award
- 2000: International Asia Pacific Quality Award (Outstanding Achievement for Large Service)
- 2008/09: Brand Laureate Award for Best Brands in Healthcare – Hospitals (Asia Pacific region)
- 2009: Malaysia Branded Service Champion Award 2009 (Category: Hospital)
- 1997: Certified to Quality Management System ISO 9000:1994
- 2001: Certified to Quality Management System ISO 9001:2000
- 2003: Certified to Occupational Health & Safety Management System OHSAS 18001:1999
- 2004: Malaysian Hospital Accreditation Standards (Malaysian Society for Quality in Health, an affiliate of the International Society for Quality in Health)
- 2008: Certified to Occupational Health & Safety Management System OHSAS 18001:2007
- 2008: Certified to Environmental Management System ISO 14001:2004
- 2009: SDMC SJ’s Laboratory certified to MS ISO 15189 standards
- 2009: Joint Commission International (JCI) accredited