Your Healthcare Nerve Centre
Laparoscopic Assisted Intestinal Resection
Why is the procedure done?
Intestinal resection is a laparoscopic surgery done to remove any of the following
- A diseased section of the rectum and sigmoid colon
- A section of the colon that is adjacent to the small intestine
- The large intestine
- The anus, rectum, and sigmoid colon
How is the procedure done?
- 4-5 small incisions are made in the abdomen area through which the laparoscope and surgical tools are inserted.
- The diseased portions of the intestine are clamped, cut and removed.
- The two healthy ends of the intestine are sewed or stapled together and the abdominal incision is closed.